Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: SMPTE and Super 8

  1. #1
    Inactive Member h.p.kirsch@t-online.de's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2000
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Is there a possibility for sound recording with an external tape and make a SMPTE synchronisation to a super 8 film with 18 fps?

    Regards
    Dr. K
    [email protected]

    ------------------
    Dr. K http://www.mp3.com/DrK
    [email protected]

    [This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited September 07, 2000).]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not in any way I can think of.

  3. #3
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    not sure if this is what you mean, but you can get super8 projectors that have a sound record feature (I know that www.simplycine.co.uk sell them.)
    It might help.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is no way I can think of to get 18fps which is not SMPTE(29.97Drop Frame or 30Non-Drop Frame)to become SMPTE speed. If you are talking about simply trying to sync dialog then that is different. Then try what Mattias suggests--however I think that The Film Group's contacts still need to go on 24fps cameras. Good Luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member h.p.kirsch@t-online.de's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2000
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you all very much for the advices.
    For voice synchronisation, I think the pilotone method will fit to my needs.
    But what should I do with my music, when I want to place some "hits" on especially one frame? How could I integrate my super 8 takes in a video film which has timecode?
    Regards
    Dr. K

    ------------------
    Dr. K
    http://www.mp3.com/DrK
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you can get a digital (flash contact) to pilotone converter from the film group (http://members.aol.com/fmgp/) which will provide a "time code" on the tape. not sure if this is a smpte compliant procedure though.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you shoot your super8 at 24fps and then get a rank transfer done to a format that has true SMPTE timecode then there should not be a problem. It is then just a matter of pulling out the shots you want. I guess I am unsure of way timecode is such an issue here. Good Luck and if you have any detailed questions email me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •